For a long time now, you’ve been buying canned cream of chicken soup when making noodles, gravies, casseroles, among other dishes. You spend some money on it, and at times, you don’t get the taste you desire. But all is not lost as you can now make homemade cream of chicken soup using readily available ingredients. Here is a cream of chicken soup recipe you should try for best results.
Easy Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe
If you think it is complicated, you are very wrong. Just follow this simple recipe, and you will make a way better cream of chicken soup compared to some canned types available on the market.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 4-6 servings
- 2 cups of cooked chicken (diced)
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- 3 sprigs of thyme – fresh
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- ½ cup of flour
- 3 medium-sized carrots (chopped)
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 sprigs parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 stalks of chopped celery
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- In large soup pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Add chopped celery, carrots, and onions, and cook for 12 minutes or until soft. Make sure you cover the pot and stir severally.
- Add the flour and cook for additional 2 minutes. While it’s cooking, keep stirring using a wooden spoon.
- Add the chicken broth, whisking constantly until it the mixture boils. Tie the bay leaf, thyme, and parsley together, and add to the mixture. Reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add chicken to the mixture and stir occasionally until the mixture boils.
- Remove the soup pot from the heat.
- Whisk the heavy cream, and salt into the soup. Add black pepper to taste.
- Remember the tied herbs in the soup? Remove and discard them.
- Serve the soup in bowls when hot. For more flavor, you can sprinkle chopped parsley on every bowl.
- You can reduce sodium concentration in the soup by using unsalted butter and cutting down on chicken broth used. This will lower the salt concertation in the soup. What’s more, you can avoid using salt for seasoning.
- You can keep the soup in a refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Tips on how to make cream of chicken soup recipe better
If you want to make the best cream of chicken soup, you need to gather fresh and organic ingredients. This will give your soup the flavor and taste you want. In addition, you should not rush the soup. Take your time when preparing it, and you will love the results.
About Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Cream of mushroom soup can be an alternative to cream of chicken soup. You can as well make easy soup using the cream of mushroom soup recipe. The recipe includes ingredients such as thyme, chicken broth, chopped onions, butter, among others used in the homemade cream of chicken soup recipe. The main difference is that it takes less time and you replace the chicken pieces with mushrooms to make the cream of mushroom soup.
What healthy alternative replaces cream of mushroom soup in a recipe?
If you want the best healthy alternative to replace cream of mushroom soup in a recipe, you should go for a cream of chicken soup. This soup produces almost the same texture and taste. You can as well consider sour cream or cream of broccoli.
Cream of chicken soup is an excellent part of any meal, especially when making casserole, gravies, soups, and even noddle recipes. Use the above cream of chicken soup recipe, and you will make a delicious soup much better than canned cream of chicken soup bought at the store.